Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Using Time to Find the Right Futures System

Futures and forex traders who deploy a computerized trading system to help them trade are a special breed of investor. They tend to go beyond the basic research when analyzing which trading system to use and trust. But here’s the problem: The same zealous traders also tend to get excited about the equity curve of a trading system. What is sometimes overlooked is that after they get in and start using the trading system, what happens if the road gets bumpy and losing trades replace the winning trades? Should you ditch the system, or stick with it? I will show you a possible solution to that problem. The technique is called Time Window Analysis. Moreover, the techniques I will discuss are applicable to any researchable investment vehicle. First let me tell you a little about myself. After college graduation in 1986, I began my futures career on the floor of the Chicago Board of Trade
working as a runner on the grain floor. I progressed to doing grain market research and then began handling client business in 1988. From that time on, I have been involved in some capacity of futures trading system administration or management. I haven’t seen it all, but I have seen a lot. Over the years I have written articles for Futures Magazine, and SFO Magazine. My articles have also appeared on FutureSource.com and Bondheads.com. I currently oversee operations for an Introducing Broker headquartered in California, called Trade Center. What I am going to teach you is one technique to evaluate the performance of a trading system so you, the investor, can better understand what to expect in the future. These techniques are applicable to any investment; the limitation is getting your hands on the data. Those who develop and market trading systems are very keen to looking at Time Windows.While it does get more complex than what I am about to say, most investors want to know the basics about an investment or trading system:
1. How much do I have to invest?
2. How much can I make?
3. How can I get my money back out?
Sound familiar? We all talk about planning our investments, but it seems like the three questions above get the most attention. How about adding another simple question:How ugly can it get and how long will the ugliness last?Almost nothing starts winning immediately. I have some Microsoft and Qualcomm stock that I have had for years--with never a profitable day. The same holds true for those using a trading system to help them get buy and sell signals. What if you could peer back into history and know that the worst run of bad trades or drawdown lasted four months from the peak? Think that might come in handy when you are trying to figure out if pulling the plug is the best thing? Let’s look at some examples. You can obtain data from sites like tradecenterinc.com or from the individual trading system developer. Example # 1 This trading system is down approximately $2790 on $15,000. Now for the most important question, how ugly can it get and more importantly, how long may this last? For that we turn to Time Window Analysis.
Time Period
1 Month
3 Months
6 Months
12 Months
Profitability Odds
64.71%
90.63%
96.55%
100%
From the table above we can see that this system has a 64.71% probability of being profitable in any 1-month period. Any three-month period is 90.63% and so on.
The big key is seeing how long it takes to make it to the 100% mark. With this valuable piece of information, I know that I need to wait at least twelve months for my system or account to get back to even or profitability. Obviously, this is not a certainty or guarantee, but this information is critical in both the planning and maintenance of a system investment. Thus, if the current drawdown is a little over seven months long, I need to plan on sticking with it for about five more months.Example # 2While some systems can be successful, they do take some fortitude.
Time Period
1 Month
12 Months
18 Months
36 Months
Profitability Odds
54.93%
86.26%
94.40%
100%
From the table above we can see that this system has a 54.93% probability of being profitable in any 1-month period. Any twelve-month period is 86.26% and so on.
The chart above shows us that when the big drawdown comes; you need to be able to sit with it for three years. Example # 3 This system is up about $4005 on a $30,000 investment for 2006. Better to plan NOW for how to act when the drawdown comes, because it will come.
Time Period
1 Month
3 Months
6 Months
12 Months
Profitability Odds
75.68%
91.43%
96.88%
100%
From the table above we can see that this system has a 75.68% probability of being profitable in any 1-month period. Any three-month period is 91.43% and so on.
What have we learned? Hopefully this shines a light where perhaps there was none and hopefully this can be used as a corollary to other investments above and beyond futures and forex trading systems. Have a plan for what to do when something ugly, bad or costly happens. Obviously, you can’t just close your eyes and wait out a twelve-month bludgeoning because the Time Window says so, but you can go into an investment armed with some information that gives you the edge. And isn’t finding the edge the difference between winning and losing in just about everything?

Futures, options, and forex trading involves substantial risk and is not suitable for all investors

1 comment:

  1. Hi Scot,

    Thank you for this post. I now better understand the Time View chart in the Detailed Report for each system Trade Center offers.
    I am currently in the process of trying to identify the system that fits my investor's profile. I first thought I'd go with Euro DT but it seems that Cougar has provided greater returns for the risk involved in the past. Of course this is only hypothetical performance based on a short period of time (3 years). And the worst has yet to come.

    Please note that I am the non-US Patrick who wants to open a Corporate account with OEC. I've been in touch with Mike Rovira for a few months now and I hope we'll get a final answer soon.

    Best Regards,
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete